Method 1: Install Through Steam (Easiest, Recommended)
The easiest, most straightforward way to install CS:S assets is purchasing the game through Steam and installing it through there.
This method is heavily recommended for a couple of reasons:
- Momentum Mod automatically mounts this install location, so once it’s done downloading, you’re all set!
- Paying at least $5 anywhere on Steam (if you have not already) will be required to submit runs to Momentum
- You won’t be in a moral/legal gray area
Method 2: Install Through SteamCMD (Experienced, Not Recommended)
This guide covers how to install CS:S assets using SteamCMD and the Counter-Strike Source Dedicated Server content repository.
- An internet connection.
- Some free space on your PC. (~4GB)
For Linux/Mac refer to Valve’s guide: developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD
- Make a folder for SteamCMD.
- Inside of it download SteamCMD, and unzip it.
- Start steamcmd.exe and wait until you got
Steam>waiting for your input.
Getting the files
Inside SteamCMD, type or paste each of the following line in the order:
app_update 232330 validate
Making the files work in Momentum Mod
- Inside your SteamCMD folder go into the folder
css/cstrikeand copy/cut all
.vpkfiles starting with the name
- From your Momentum folder go to
momentum\custom, create a folder
cstrikesourceand paste all those previously copied
.vpkfiles inside of it. So for example, the path for the
_dir.vpkfile should look like
- Finally from the Momentum folder open
- And add the following in a new line right after:
Note that any updates we may do to
gameinfo.txt could cause this entry to be deleted, so if CS:S assets stop showing up, make sure to make this edit again!